To Make Quick Dill Cucumbers
- 1 cup / 250 ml white vinegar
- ½ cup / ½ cup white sugar
- 1t / 5 ml salt
- 2t / 10 ml black peppercorns
- 1 t / 5 ml fennels seeds – I toast them in a dry pan for extra flavor
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 large sprigs fresh dill
- 1 whole chili – cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large English Cucumber – peeled
Method – to make the quick dill cucumbers
- After peeling the cucumber with a vegetable peeler, cut the cucumber in half, length way. Use the teaspoon and scrape out the seeds.
- With a vegetable peeler, slice the whole cucumber in long shavings.
- Place all shavings in a glass jar.
- Mix the vinegar and sugar and all the other ingredients until sugar has dissolved. Add all the other ingredients to the vinegar.
- Pour the vinegar mix over the cucumber shavings. Close the jar and leave the cucumber in the fridge for at least 1 day.
For the Bagels;
- 4 bagels
- 250 g cream cheese
- 80 – 100 g smoked trout ribbons
- 2 avocados
- 2 T capers – optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs of your choice
- Quick Dill Cucumbers
- Black and white sesame seeds
Method – putting it all together
- Cut bagels in half and toast in the toaster or hot pan. (Optional, but I like it.)
- Spread each bottom half of the bagels with cream cheese.
- Top with slices of avocado (optional), smoked trout ribbons, dill cucumber pickles and fresh herbs.
- Lastly, sprinkle the sesame seeds on salmon.
Serve as breakfast or lazy early afternoon summer snack.