Back in the summer of 2014, one of our favourite South African’s, Suzelle DIY, ‘gave birth’ to a new version of the much loved South African favourite, braai-brootjie, the BRAAI PIE.
This year, following in the footsteps of Suzelle, we have asked Chef Nina Timm, to create a protein alternative braai pie recipe using our Cold Smoked Trout Ribbons just for you.
”This braai pie is ideal to serve as a starter before the braai. You do however need a patient man/woman behind the braai. It requires gentle heat.’‘ – Chef Nina Timm www.my-easy-cooking.com
Serves 6-8 as light snack
- 2 rolls puff pastry
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 12 processed cheese slices
- 1t chili flakes – optional
- Make a fire as you would for the braai – keep a separate space on the braai for the Braai Pie or do it somewhere separate, it only needs a few very mild coals.
- Spray the grid with Spray and Cook.
- Roll one puff pastry out on a piece of baking paper.
- Spread the cream cheese all over the pastry. Top with the trout and then the spinach leaves(Raw).
- Lastly place the processed cheese slices over the top and finally roll out the second puff pastry roll on top of the filling.
- Carefully transfer the pie to the grid and close the grid.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes on slow, mild coals.
Cut in small blocks and serve with drinks.