makes 12 fish cakes
- 3 x 180 g hot smoked peppered trout
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and grated
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger – grated
- A handful fresh coriander – finely chopped
- 250 ml/1 up fresh corn – it is the corn of about 2 cobs
- a small chilli – finely chopped
- zest and juice of 1 limes
- 15 ml fish sauce
- 15 ml soy sauce
- 3 x-large eggs
- 1 cup dry oats or almond flour for a low-carb option
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Kewpie mayo
- Remove the trout from their skins and flake the fish in a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix properly with your hands.
- Alternatively keep the corn kernels aside and mix all the other ingredients in a food processor. Then add the kernels back in.
- Shape in round shapes with your hands and fry in shallow oil until golden brown.
Spicy Coleslaw – Ingredients
- 2 mini cabbages or 1 large wedge of cabbage – very finely shredded
- 1 cup fresh corn
- 2 chillies
- A handful fresh coriander
- A handful fresh basil – optional
- 125 ml/½ cup salted peanuts and raisins
- Salad Dressing
- 80 ml / ⅓ cup light soy – I prefer citrus soy
- 10 ml peanut or sesame oil
- 10 ml fish sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 30 ml toasted sesame seeds
- 10 – 15 ml honey – tasted and add more if you prefer it sweeter
- Place all the salad ingredients in a bowl. Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and add to the salad just before serving.
To Serve – serve 2 fish cakes in a bowl with some coleslaw, kewpie
mayo and fresh coriander.