Serve 6 – as part of breakfast/ 8-10 as a spread with crackers
- 250g pack smoked kippers
- 15 ml butter
- 15 ml water
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced green and white finely chopped
- 1 small lemon, zested, plus 1 tbsp juice
- 10g fresh dill – finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter and water in a pan.
- Remove the kippers from the packaging and place in the pan. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5 min.
- Remove the fish from the pan and discard the skin and any bones from the kippers. Cool the fish to room temperature.
- Place the fish, cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, spring onion and fennel in a food processor. Pulse until combined, but I prefer a coarser texture. Choice is yours.
- Spread the pate on 6 slices of wholewheat bread.
- Poach 6 eggs and serve on the bread with fresh dill and basil.
HOW TO MAKE POACHED EGGS
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce to low. I turn off the heat.
- Crack the egg in a small ramekin or bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of white vinegar to the pot and stir to create a vortex.
- Pour the ramekin with the egg into the middle of the vortex and set a timer for 3 minutes.
- Once the 3 min are up, use a slotted spoon to remove the poached egg.
- Dab with a paper towel to remove excess water and eat immediately.