“A Brain power bowl to start your morning.
Oats are a versatile fibre-rich ingredient – so I made a savoury breakfast bowl.
Being heritage month – what better ingredients to use than with South African Rooibos tea, and locally-grown trout.” By Candyce Bouffe’
- 2 Cups Strong Rooibos Tea (3x teabags to 1 cup boiling water)
- 1 portion raw TSSH Trout
- 1-2 tsp lemongrass (fresh & chopped or dried lemongrass)
- Salt & Pepper
- ¼ – ½ Cup Whole Rolled Oats
- ½ Cup Buckwheat (Or substitute with oats if you don’t like buckwheat)
- 1 tsp Raw Honey
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Make the cups of rooibos tea.
- Poach the trout fillet in 1 cup rooibos tea (on a pan on the stove), lemon grass, salt & pepper. – it should take about 5-7 minutes until cooked. It will be perfectly cooked when it flakes.
- Flake the trout fillet & set aside.
- Heat a pot on the store & place the oats & buckwheat in the pot – toast for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add one cup of Rooibos tea. Boil until it is about 5 minutes before it is ready, add in some rice milk (or coconut milk) & a touch of honey until it is creamier.
- When the oats/buckwheat is soft & cooked – place it in a bowl, top with the flaked trout, and top with sesame seeds.
- Add some frozen peas to the oats for some greens, and a drizzle of tahini to pack on some flavour.
- Stir some baby spinach through the oats once they are cooked.
- Add a touch of Turmeric for a mild spicier, savoury flavour.