- 500 g spaghetti
- 3 T/ 45 ml Olyfberg extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 6 – 8 anchovy fillets
- 2 T / 30 ml tomato paste
- 500 g baby tomatoes – cut in half and quarters
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup / 125 ml pitted olives
- ½ cup / 125 ml pitted green olives
- ¼ cup / 80 ml drained capers
- ½ – 1 t chili flakes
- A handful chopped fresh basil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 100 g peppered smoked mackerel
- ½ cup / 125 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a big pot of water to the boil. Add 2 T salt and add the pasta. Cook until el dente, drain and keep. Also keep about 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the garlic and anchovies. Stir and cook until garlic is lightly golden and anchovies melt into the oil. This takes 2-3 minutes. Just enjoy the pungent aromas coming from that pot.
- Now add the tomato paste and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add ½ the chopped tomatoes and crush them with a fork to break up a little. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Increase the heat slightly and cook, until the tomatoes break down and the mixture becomes saucy, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the olives, capers, basil and chili flakes and reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the pasta and fold in to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Season again with salt and pepper to taste and add the flaked mackerel and the lemon juice and zest.
Add some of the pasta water if the pasta is too dry.