“My Potato Salad with Hot Smoked Peppered Salmon can take center stage on your Christmas table any day. It also is the perfect finish to a long day at the beach.”
– Chef Nina Timm
- 1 kg baby potatoes – use different varieties and colours
- 45 ml basil pesto
- 30 ml olive oil
- 15 ml NOMU Seafood & Fish Seasoning
- 100 g young beans – steamed in hot water for 2 minutes
- fresh basil
- 6 x 90 g Three Streams Hot Smoked Peppered Salmon Fillets– remove skin
For the salsa
- 1 medium red onion – finely chopped
- 100 ml pitted green olives – finely chopped
- 100 ml gherkins – finely chopped
- 10 ml olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- A pinch of sugar
For the Basil/Lime Hollandaise
makes 200 ml sauce
- 5 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 t water
- 5 ml Dijon Mustard
- 125 ml melted butter – melted it must be 125ml, it is about 120 g
- a few basil leaves
- zest of 1 lime
Place the egg yolk, water, vinegar and mustard in your stick blender’s jug.
Melt the butter in microwave oven.
Place your stick blender over the egg yolk and start running the machine.
Slowly add the melted butter and voila…. in seconds you have hollandaise.
Once the hollandaise is thick and emulsified, add the lime zest and basil and blitz until combined.
Now make the salad
Cook the potatoes in salted water until you can insert a knife into the potato with ease. Drain and cool completely.
In a glass bowl, combine the pesto, olive oil and NOMU seasoning.
Cut the potatoes in half ( keep the skins on) and add to the pesto/olive oil mix.
Gently mix the potatoes, so each potato half is coated with the pesto mix.
Place the potatoes on a big platter.
Break the salmon in bite-size chunks and add to the salad.
Add the steamed beans.
Mix all the salsa ingredients and spoon over the salad.
Add fresh basil and seasoning if needed.
Serve with a fresh wholewheat bread and hollandaise.