- 2 T/ 30 ml butter
- 1-2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 T/15 ml – grated ginger
- 1 – 2 bay leaves
- ½ t/ 2 ml fennel seeds
- ½ t/ 2 ml cumin seeds
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice – this is about 1 ½ cups dry basmati rice.
- 2 – 3 T/30 – 45 ml curry powder
- 250 g smoked salmon ribbons
- 4 boiled eggs, sliced in half
To serve – lemon juice, lemon wedges, fresh coriander
- Heat the butter in a large pan or frying pan.
- Add garlic, ginger, bay leaves, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Sauté until the seeds start to crackle and release their flavor.
- Add the chopped leek and sauté until the leek starts to soften and caramelize.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a minute or two until tomatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Now, add the cooked basmati rice, curry powder, lemon juice and salt. Use a fork and spoon to mix well.
- Spread the salmon ribbons on the rice and cover the lid for just 1 minute to “cook” the salmon. Mix again and if the rice mixture is too dry, add a little water to the pan and warm through.
- Add the lemon juice and taste the seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
Garnish the kedgeree with the boiled eggs, lemon wedges and fresh coriander.