Easy Beetroot and Fennel Trout Gravadlax
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup Course Salt
- 2 – 3 Beetroot – roughly grated
- 125 ml/ 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 small bunch Fresh Dill
- freshly ground black pepper
- zest of 1 orange
- 500 – 600 g Threestreams King Trout Fillet – skin removed (keep the skin)
- In a large bowl, combine the grated beets, salt, sugar, dill, horseradish, and several grinds black pepper.
- Place salmon on a sheet pan. Line with plastic wrap. Place salmon on top of plastic wrap. Cover the flesh with the beet mixture. Wrap the salmon with plastic wrap. Place another pan on top and weight down with a few cans. Cure in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Gently scrape off the beet mixture and discard. With a sharp knife, slice the salmon very thinly on a bias.
- Will keep in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator.
To roast the trout skin
Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper or spray the pan with Spray ‘n Cook. Lay the skin on the baking sheet, outside facing the top. Season with coarse salt. Bake until crispy
- 250 ml cream cheese – room temperature
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- a few slices of gravadlax
- a few pieces of the crispy skin
- Cooked beetroot
- salt and pink pepper corns of you have
Method for plating
- Mix the lime zest, juice and cream cheese. Scoop into piping bag and when ready pipe onto plate. Serve with slices of the gravadlax, cubes of pickled beetroot, crispy skin and salt.